Saturday, January 1, 2005

There is a darkside to our industry

Those who worked for Southeast Airlines, had a dream...  And now they can't even cash their final paychecks!

 

Click here to read about Southeast Airlines employees strugging to find new jobs.

Click here to read about low cost charter airline Southeast Airlines shutting its doors on November 30, 2004.

This is the darkside of our industry. One day you are doing a job that you love, and the next day your final paycheck bounces.  My heart goes out to all of the employees of Southeast Airlines who are now struggling to make ends meet.  I am sure that each of them had a passion for what they did, just as the rest of us do.  Reading some of the online news clips, I got the feeling that they were a close-knit airline family, who believed in their company.  It saddens me to see so many of my airline brothers and sisters now without a job, with the industry the way it is today.

You want to talk about a bunch of flight attendants who works hard, it was the Southeast flight attendants.  I ran into a few of them in SWF a few years ago at our old hotel.  They would fly into SWF early in the morning, and then fly out again at about 11pm that night.  Basically doing that 4 to 5 days a week.  That was their life, and I complain about my work day at times?  HA....  I know, I know!

During this past November when I was overnighting in SWF (Stewart, NY), we would be arriving for the night, just as the Southeast flight was getting ready to board.  The terminal was always full of people!  With $49 fares it's easy to see why.  Even with a whole plane full of $49 fares you can't always run an airline.  All of the employees at the SWF airport were shocked and stunned when Southeast closed up shop.  There were many of their passengers going from counter, to counter trying to find out what they could do with their now useless tickets.

If there are any Southeast Airline employees who are looking for another airline job, please e-mail me and I will be more than happy to send you alink to my company's career website! We have had a hiring freeze over the holidays, but now I believe it has been lifted.

This is one of the realities that you may have to face if you dream of a job in the airline industry.  I hope that all of you dreamers out there, will take that into consideration...

And people wonder why I am not a big fan of cheap fares?  Because sometimes it really isn't a bargin after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it stinks, and it's something that happens in all industries - definitely stinks when it happens to you, though.  

Anonymous said...

hi... sad to say that due to our economy unemployment is so high these days... It is sad that the airline had to close...even though the bargain prices were great it was not enough to keep the flow of income prospering... sometimes you can cut prices and do it in spurts just to get clients to fly your airlines but the bottom line is you cannot do that all the time.. there is no profit in the end... it is all about the almighty dollar these days.. and rather or not a company can withstand the ups and the down.. unfortunately they could not.... ing