Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Just another DAY of my glamourus life!!

Two ground stops and a mechanical, what else could go wrong?

Ahhhh....  I just love Chicago in the winter, even more so during a major flight cancelling snow storm. 

We got to the Buffalo Airport today at about 1:15 pm for a 2pm departure.  By the time we had gotten to the gate, we had already been given a Air Traffic Control delay to Chicago which was 2 hours later.  One thing that you learn to do in this industry is to get food whenever you have the time to do so!  Even if it is over priced airport food.  I ran to get some lunch, because I knew that it was going to be a long day. 

When it came time to finally go to Chicago, we boarded up all of our 60 passengers.  The tower had informed us that we were given yet another 2 hour ground delay before we could go to Chicago.  Mind you that we had already gotten everyone on board, and we were already 2 hours behind schedule!  So we made everyone get back off of the plane, because it would be more comfortable for them to be in the terminal for 2 hours rather than in our tiny little airplane. 

After all of the passengers had gotten off of the plane, my #2 flight attendant and I went to Burger King, to get some food...  Like I said, if you have time, you go get food.  We don't get a set lunch break like a normal 9 to 5 person does.

Two more hours pass, and we try it one more time, boarding up all of our weary travelers yet again...  This time I was certain that we were going to get to Chicago.  RIGHT!  Just as we were getting the final paperwork all finished, a knob breaks off up in the cockpit, which caused our already 5 hour late flight to cancel due to mechanical.  Mind you, these people have been SO patient with everything up until this point.  So we break the news to everyone, and deplane AGAIN!  These poor people, some of whom had been at the airport since 5am in the morning hoping to get to somewhere other than Buffalo!

Now it is time to see what our fate holds for tomorrow.  We were supposed to be in Des Moines tonite, and then back to Buffalo on Thursday night.  Things aren't all that bad, we are just stuck here in Buffalo untill Friday, when we hopefully resume the final segments of our trip,  I have never had a 36 hour layover in my career...  Never say never I guess.  Does anyone have any ideas?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making Editor's #2!
http://journals.aol.com/jcole16757/My2Cents/

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making Editor's Pick!  I'll be back...~Dona

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

Cute Kitty!!

Please check out my Journal!
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!

Great blog here!  I've really enjoyed reading it.  Some of it is so funny.  Sorry about the theft - at least you're okay.

Congrats on making the Editor's Top Picks.

I'll be back again!

~Mary Ann
http://journals.aol.com/maf74dance/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!

Great blog here!  I've really enjoyed reading it.  Some of it is so funny.  Sorry about the theft - at least you're okay.

Congrats on making the Editor's Top Picks.

I'll be back again!

~Mary Ann
http://journals.aol.com/maf74dance/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being one of the top 5. You're journal is great!!!!!!! We Homeschool & I have two girls one 23 who graduated from Homeschooling & is teaching at a private school & one 16 who has her license now and takes care of two special needs children several time a week. She also baby sits for a woman's group on Fridays and occasionally for others in the community. Both care for the elderly and visit them weekly, love kids & animals & take Karate they are brown belts now and test for black next year & Piano. We also love to go camping. We love animals and always take our two big dogs camping. We love working on old cars also or just fixing our up. You can also check out our kodak pictures page first link in our OTHER JOURNALS LINKS. Cars, animals and our way of living are all there. We love getting posts in my journal & see how our daily life goes on I 'd love to hear from you.  LORI  

Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed finding a local hole in the wall type bar with live music during my weekly 72 hour layovers.  :)

alternately, you could just send some wings my way :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for all of the kind words!!!

Anonymous said...

sometimes it feels like it will never end doesnt it? 2nd winter in a row of not going over my 76 hours. *smh* but I have several trips with dave so it is worth it... sorry about the hair dryer :( glad the kitties were there in the AM congrats on editor's pic... when you bc famous Ill be able to say I read your blog long b4 the rest of the world :-) keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

WOW! Interesting journal, you know a lot of people get ill and frustrated cause of delays but something as small as a knob falling off could hinder the functions of a plane, maybe the knob was the very knob that lifts the plane or even lands the plane you never know.  I've never have flew in a plane.  I perfer automobiles but one day i'm gonna do it.

Anonymous said...

The knob was one that controled reverse thrust, which helps the plane to stop, which is important especially in snow and ice conditions!