Friday, January 7, 2005

Beauty tips for the budget minded!

Some of my best kept beauty secerets!

So when you don't make very much money, and you are required to look like a million bucks, what do you do?  The key is to shop for what fits well, not what label it is.  I know that 7 jeans don't fit me well, but H&M jeans look good on my shape!

I love clothes, and the latest fashion.  That doesn't mean that I spend a fortune!  It's knowing what to invest money on, and what to bargain hunt for.  Knowing what looks good for your shape is key too.

Things to invest money in:

A great timeless leather jacket

A timeless over coat

A nice fitting suit

A basic white dress shirt (or anyother dress shirt)

A pair of jeans that flatter your shape

A good pair of boots, pumps, gym shoes

A pair of khaki pants

A twin set, or two

A basic black dress

A good belt and purse, suitcase set

A nice classic watch

When you have good basic pieces in your closet, you can mix them up and update your look with trendy pieces here and there that you can pick up from a discount store!

Here are some things that you can bargin hunt for:

Trends that will only last a season

Work out clothes

Trendy shoes

Make up

Nail colour

Trendy purses, bags

Costume jewery

I do alot of shopping at discount places like: Fileen's Basement, TJMAXX, Marshall's, DSW Shoe Warehouse.  As well as: TARGET, H&M, thrift stores, Old Navy, Gap Factory Store, Nine West outlet (for work shoes).  You can find the latest trends without breaking the bank.  Though remember, it's not a bargin if it doesn't fit well.

For cutting edge hair colour and style, no need to go to a salon.  Personally I go to the Aveda Institute, which for the price of what I used to pay for a haircut, I can get a great cut AND colour!  The work is done by students, but closely monitored by their instructors.  You definately get way more than what you pay for.  Checking out beauty schools isn't a waste of time! 

Pedicures are something that I splurge for at the start of sandal weather, so that I can keep them up on my own during the summer.  though I do my own nails.  As a flight attendant I am required to have well manicured hands, so i just glue on those nail kits, cut them to size and cover with my favourite polish!  The cool thing is that if I chip or break a nail, I can fix it right then and there, without having to leave my house!  I have found that the best quality nail sets can be found at local beauty supply stores. 

OH... And lets not forget the best beauty seceret of them all for removing makeup from your face. BABY WIPES!  Forget those fancy cloths from the cosmetics section, they are the same as baby wipes, but 10 times the price!

I hope that this helps out my fellow fashionistas living on a shoe string budget!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i read your whole journal and it is delightful and informative.  i will look forward to checking in with you often. i am also a chicagoan (north shore suburbs) and i know the o'hare rigamarole. i loved the fashion advice. i also frequent target and for "special" stuff talbots. not very avante garde but it works for a granmother like me.

Anonymous said...

Fashion is personal, and should reflect your personality!  Finding what works the best for you is key!

Anonymous said...

You're so right about finding good clothes at cheap prices.  I used to be a "label whore" and would only shop at Abercrombie&Fitch or Banana Republic.  I finally came out of it and realized I can get 2x the clothes for cheaper prices at Target.  I love your journal.  And don't let all the tired bargain flyers get to you, I appreciate all flight attendants and realize what a stressful job you all have.

Brian

Anonymous said...

I still shop at Bananna republic and Ambercrombie, but only if the clothes fit me extremely well, and I know that I will be able to wear the pieces for a few seasons!  It's ok to invest money in clothing that will stand the test of time!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the feeling of cheap cotton and smooth pleather.  I also enjoy the smile upon your face as you realize a new comment is in your blog.  I gotta go back and figure out how to pay for these planes.
Lou

Anonymous said...

Awesome secrets and tips, thanks so much for sharing! Wonderfully creative and original journal! I've thoroughly enjoyed my visit. :-)

Forum: http://imreality.proboards19.com

Anonymous said...

THOSE ARE GREAT TIPS TO LOOK LIKE A MILLION ON A BUDGET. STAY SAFE ON THOSE FLIGHTS.

Anonymous said...

baby wipes... what would I do with out them.... people pick on me but you know what.... my skin tone rocks since I started useing them.... flew with "the fo" heh so much to tell you... look for an IM from me... *smh* im such a dork I swear... maybe lunch with him tomorrow(away from work)... cross fingers I know I am

Anonymous said...

How fun!

Thanks for the tips. I love a good bargain!  My favorite all time bargain is one day I was shopping at Macys and came across a clearance rack that had tank tops and shorts on it but there was this black dress coat with white stiching by INC my FAV Brand!!! Anyways I thought that it must be a mistake to be on that rack with all the tank tops but I looked anyways and I about DIED because it was a $150 jacket that was on clearance for $10!!!! And then I was even more excited because it just so happened to be my size!  Oh I have never been so excited hahaha! And it looks fabulous too lol! I have never again found such a deal lol!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips!
Elisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Great Idea for shopping and info. But handy wipes /baby wipes work the same Wow ! Thanks

Anonymous said...

For those who have sensitive skin like me, I use vaseline to remove eye makeup with a kleenes tissue, works like a charm....

Anonymous said...

If you live in Chicago, check out University of Aesthetics www.universityofaesthetics.org in Bucktown where you can get your legs waxed for $25. They take a hell of a long time because they are students but they are thorough! And they do guys as well!

Cyril

www.crewtag.com

Anonymous said...

Heather, as a future flight attendant and one with occasional bouts of insomnia (especially lately) I find your blog fascinating (not quite the story they tell you in the interview video!), HI-larious (sorry can't help but make that Firefly reference), and witty. Needless to say I've been reading pretty much all night, when I wasn't distracted by the tv or my cat, Chaucer (who was disappointed I was spending the night sleeping with him) I'm one of those people who watches every single behind-the-scenes featurettes on DVDs . . . I was stage crew management during my high school theater days, and sometimes I thought I was the best actor there because I DIDN'T tell most of the fifteen-minutes-of-famers exactly what I thought of their performance, what they could do with their advice on my management techniques, and where they could stick "it". I've always said if you can keep high school actors in line, paying attention, quiet, and from mortally wounding themselves on the set pieces, you can handle very nearly anyone. Anyway, I've found this blog insightful, but anymore tips you are willing/have time to give would be great! If you wish to visit my (very new) blog, (had to delete my old one to avoid a would-be stalker!) you are more than welcome. See http://myspace.com/chefaimeemali and I also have facebook. I believe I am the only Aimee with Mali as part of their name. While I know that "A View From the Top" is not at all realistic, I find it quite hilarious. You did post a picture or clip, I believe, of a movie you did recommend. Could you perhaps message me as to what that was? None of the pics on your blog are showing up for me. Thank you so much for your insight into your job and sharing your life with the very public, unforgiving, and often creepy internet crowd. (BTW my usual sn was taken so I chose ChefnStewardess because I love cooking, and I love the uniforms from when they were called stewardesses, nothing derogatory intended I assure you)