Monday, January 10, 2005

Traveling Tips Part 2

Part 2 of my traveling tips I will focus on something that I struggle with the most when I am working:  Eating Healthy on the fly!

For those of you who have an office job, and a regular work schedule it's easy for you to eat healthy and work out.  For the polyester jet set, and road warriors, it's a whole different ball game!

Because I don't have a set lunch break, I have to grab food whenever I can.  Which most of the time is fast food.  Eating fast food takes a toll on your body, and waist line let me tell you!  Two and a half years ago I was 50 pounds heavier than I am today, because of bad eating habits that I had developed.  How did I lose the weight you ask?  Well just bringing my lunch to work wasn't a possibility so I had to think of something else that I could do.

I knew that I couldn't do the whole Adkins thing, like the rest of the US.  First of all I like beer too much, and second of all, I was going to give up eating burritos!  I sat down and tried to think of what I could eat at the airport that was low in fat and low in carbohydrates. 

I switched from drinking frappachinos to green tea.  Did you know that if you drink green tea every day for  six weeks instead of coffee, you will loose 10 pounds?  I swear by it!  Green tea has alot of antioxidents that are good for you!

I made the switch from regular pop to diet!  I turned into one of those Diet COKE!!!  people!  I also started drinking alot of water.  Milk became one of my staples as well.  If you drink 2%, it is low in fat, and has protien.(if i was running around all day and couldn't grab something healthy, I would grab milk untill I could eat good food)

I was all keen on the "premium salads" that the fast food joints were putting out!  What could be bad about the salad?  Well the dressings that they come with have the same fat and carb count as a burger.  So I just got a burger instead, with no french fries mind you!  I eat the grilled chicken sandwhiches with NO MAYO.  If you are eating bread, cut back on your fat intake!  I do eat salads, but I make sure to get basalmic Vinigrette!  Tuna fish is great!  Soups are higher in carbohydrates, but are generally lower in fat.  I get whole wheat bread and bagels whenever possible.  Burritos that have black beens and rice.  HELLO, black beens and rice together is a great complex carbohydrate!   

Need to calm your sweet tooth?  Try low fat, sugar free frozen yogurt.  Or even a sweet potato!

Another thing that I pack in my bag is instant oatmeal packets.  I always make sure that I start my day with oatmeal...  The great thing about instant oatmeal is that all that you need is hot water!  Eating fruit is good too.  Though fruit is higher in carbohydrates, it's because of the natural sugars they contain.

Pasta...  I had to give up pasta, as well as anything else that was white processed.  (White flour, sugar, ect)

The one thing that is hardest to find is vegitables at the airport.  That is untill Panda Express got on the whole low carb band wagon.

You can eat at fast food places and not become as big as a house, it all depends on WHAT you get.

Stay tuned for part three!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I would starve to death until I found the trick of cooking from the coffee maker... and no that doesnt mean burnt up coffee.. you can make soup... mac and cheese... oatmeal... im not at all a healthy eater I eat a bit of everything and but the reason is I eat a lot of small means a day... but try to even it out... if I have pizza for lunch.... its a salad or wrap for dinner... sabarros(most airports have em) now have a low carb pizza.. not bad eather good post heather!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick, CONGRATS, on you "Pick". neat journal. I'm an old guy, so probably can't use "some " of the tips, but great fun, anyway. Nothing boring about true life. rich

Anonymous said...

Most people have a hard time losing weight with all different choices they have at work or at home.  To be able to pull it off as a flight attendant is quite a feat.  Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

He He.... I really love your page man. : ) And I especially love your love of StrongBad and Homestarrunner. : ) haha....

Keep on Trucking Homie.

http://hometown.aol.com/palejaislave/  

(thats mah webpage if you wanna have a look)

"RED"

Anonymous said...

I thought your story was soooo interesting to read and I loved it! Keep writing.
                                                                                         Rachel

Anonymous said...

I am glad that so many people are interested in what I have to say!

Keep tuning in, because you never know what I will say next!!!!

-heather

Anonymous said...

Good tips for on the go People. Thanks

http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

dear precious, i really enjoyed reading your entry as i am trying to drop at least 50 pounds that i have put on over the last year since i stopped working. I have found that you really have to stick to these choices for a healthy and happier life and i am definately not happy with my weight. I will most assuradly try the things you mentioned. Congrats on your succes and keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

enjoyed your journal i never realised just what a flight attendents work consisted   of iguess we all have likes and dislikes thanks again for your insite.                                                                                                                                                                                                      biceptburn

Anonymous said...

Like your journal-especially the headlines... cool idea

Anonymous said...

Heather  I have been on a reducing kicking myself and I find  that if i do not have much carbs in my life and choose the good things to eat, plus walking does the trick.  In the airports you ccan walk, heaven knows its a great place to walk.  I take for on the run carrots, celerly, package of Land0'lakes turkey and ham lean slices of meat. I roll them up in your favorite cheese.  i usually need 3 or 4roll ups
with one slice a cheese i split into 3 or 4 sections.  This helps very good when your want your lunch or dinner on the goo. Oh pickels do marvelous too . this will curb your hunger. Just be wise in your choices in what to eat and cut out those carbs and y ou will see a differance.  thank you for hearing me

Anonymous said...

your journal had a lot of good diet tips that alot of people could use this time of year.  your story was very entresting!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great tips. I love hot tea. I am going to switch to green tea from now on.

Anonymous said...

Cool tips. :)

Anonymous said...

well heather I love your headline and your diet tips.  I am a nurse with a 8 year old and 2 year old at home.  I have gained lots of weight working the graveyard shift and am now very heavy and have just started to diet and excercise.  I have switched to green tea also, it does help as does the lowfat milk.  i switched to 1% for even more fat savings, bought an excercise bike ( I dont like to walk more then I have to)  Keeep up the good work.  

Anonymous said...

Heather - I totally understand your plight, because I am one of the Road Warriors you talk about.  I spend almost as much time on planes as flight crews, eat in restaurants or room service way too often and am trying to lose weight.  Fruit and veggies in an airport is almost non-existant.  I just joined LA Weight Loss, so my briefcase will now be filled with little bars and snacks (and my laptop and iPod).  Good luck with your quest - I know how tough it is for us SkyPrincesses :)

Anonymous said...

really great tips!  ~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

something wrong with my font selector----since you are in a beauty orientated profession you must suffer---
try an asian diet