Wednesday, January 5, 2005

OH... WHERE IS MY HAIRBRUSH???

I awoke Tuesday morning to find my kitchen window wide open, and my hair dyer STOLEN!!!

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.  The eriest part of my tale is the fact that I was fast asleep in my bed the entire time, unaware that I had an intruder in my apartment. 

As a flight attendant, at times we are a target for crime because of the misunderstanding that we make alot of money, and jet off to the exotic places of the world.  I live alone with my two cats in a basement apartment, in a part of Chicago that most women of my age wouldn't dare to step a pedicured toenail.  Why do I live where I do?  It's a simple fact really, I can't afford to live anywhere else. 

Sometime Tuesday morning after I had fallen asleep, someone or someones were able to open my kitchen window.  (mind you I live in the basement, so the sidewalk is level with my window)  They crawled thru my window, and took my MP3 player, which was sitting on my kitchen table, my iron, and a wicker basket in my bathroom which contained my: flat iron, hair dryer, hot rollers, 4 hair brushes, hair clips, and 4 curling irons.  I want to know why someone would take things that I needed to get ready for work in the AM?  Why not my TV?  I can live without my TV, not my hair dryer!!!

Needless to say, I wasn't able to get to work on time.  I called the police, and they seemed concerned, asking me if I had any ex-boyfriends who would want to get revenge.  He seemed to think that someone was trying to teach me a lesson, or try to scare me.  When the forensics tech came to dust for finger prints, she said that I needed to get my landlord to put bars on my windows.  (Hopefully those should be in place by the time that I finish my trip.)

It's coward acts of violence like this, that is unsettling.  If someone tries to approach you in a harmful way, at least you can put up a fight.  When someone sneaks into your home in the night just to take your hair brush, you are left helpless and with bed hair!  To top everything off, not only was I broke, but I already had to borrow money from a friend to pay a bill this month.  Having to buy new hair stuff has put me at being penniless untill mynext pay period ten days away!

So do you think that being a flight attendant is soooooo glamourus now?

 

At a request of one of my regular readers, I added this link to a paypal account!

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=precious072177%40aol.com&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the theft.

How about setting up a PayPal account and take donations?  I am more than willing to contribute a few dollars for the blog.

Maybe you need to chain your hair dryer to the wall, just so that you can make it to work on time next time when this happens.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're OK!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok.... so how does one set up a pay pal account???

Anonymous said...

If I chained my hair dryer to the wall, then how would I be able to take it with me when I was working?  Me and my old dryer were really close you know!  Nice Idea....  thinking about doing that to my TV.....

Anonymous said...

you know it is such a sad society right now.. and for those who steal it does not matter what it is... :(  however i am glad that you were alright... you can replace the materialistic things but life is precious... ing

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the theft.  But at least you still have your sense of humor.  Anyone who can quote VeggieTales is OK with me.   Good luck on those metal bars.  There is nothing that says home like prison bars on your windows.  I am a Chicagoan though, so I understand.  Hopefully they wont be painted black or battleship gray.

Anonymous said...

Heather, As a brand new journaler, I couldn't help but read your latest entry.  I was rolling on the floor laughing, sorry to say.  I hate the fact that your privacy was intruded upon and your personal things were stolen...that totally sucks.  But as another said, you have a great sense of humor about it all.  I hope to get you on a flight, if I ever take one again.  Hang in there!  Be safe!!  Diane

Anonymous said...

I was more bothered by the fact that someone was able to get into my place while I was fast asleep, more then the fact that they took my hair dryer...  I am just greatful that my 2 kitties, Borka and Natasha had enough sense not to go out the open window!  

If someone was trying to scare me, let it be known that THIS WHITE CHIC ain't leavin' LOGAN SQUARE any time soon!  They are just going to have to get used to my non-getto self in the 'hood!

Anonymous said...

If you are getting bars put on your windows....please make sure you have other escape routes in case of fire.

Anonymous said...

That's downright scarey, and reminds me what a sheltered life I lead.  http://journals.aol.com/mosie1944/MYCOUNTRYLIFE

Anonymous said...

You have got to move or add a alarm I'm scared for you Maybe nail the windows shout Pleese!!!

Anonymous said...

not your everyday thing that gets stolen.  Seen any drag queens hanging around lately? lol

Anonymous said...

Ok...  Like I said, I am FLAT broke, so getting an alarm system is out of the question...  As far as moving?  I can't afford to live anywheres else!  So they will have to get used to seeing my white butt here!  

If it was a drag queen, he would have had better taste then to steal my Kmart specials!

Anonymous said...

U SEEM TO BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR HAIRDRYER THAN UR SAFETY. I WOULD BE SCARED TO DEATH NOT KNOWING WHO IS LOOKING AT ME WHEN IAM ASLEEP OR COME AND GO. U BETTER GET THOSE BARS ON THE WINDOWS OR SOMEHOW MAKE IT NOISEY OR DIFFICULT FOR THAT CREEP TO COME IN! I AM ASSUMING ITS A GUY MAYBE ITS A GIRL. DOES A GUY NEED A HAIRDRYER. ANYWAY TAKE CARE BE SAFE ON THE GROUND AND ON THE AIR.

Anonymous said...

wow thats terrible that someone would stoop so low as to steal a flight attendant's hair staples. goodness what is this world coming to?