Saturday, January 1, 2005

USAir asks employees to work for FREE!

What I want to know is what happened with USAir during Christmas? Whatever it was it made ME stranded in DCA for 12 hours, with 8 of my new best friends!!!!

 

Click on the link, about USAir asking non-union employees to work for free to reunite people with their luggage! 

I was rather upset when I read this article.  There is something rotten in the state of Denmark, when an airline can't even afford to pay it's employees, who come in on their days off to deal with all of the baggage, to get the airline back on schedule. 

I'm sorry, but I know that I can't pay my bills on just gratitude.  I sincerely hope that my brothers and sisters who work for USAir are the same!  Especially after being forced to take as many concessions and pay cuts as they have over the past few years.

Here are some other related news links:

Click here to read a related AP article

Click here to find out about the concessions that USAir flight attendants are being forced to take.  I am interested to hear about this MIDATLANTIC AIRWAYS thing?  What's it all about, and why are they using our contract as a model?  Can anyone from USAir send me over some information?

Click here to read about the struggles that flight attendants at United Airlines are facing in the wake of bankruptcy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hourly employees were supposed to be paid, salaried management was asked to volunteer - not a bad deal for hourly people to make some extra cash.  Plus, I think it says something about the management who did volunteer without pay - they're working just as hard!  See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384422

MidAtlantic is basically a wholly owned regional with the idea being that they could run their own regional and employee furloughed employees for less than they could outsource it...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info...  That clears everything up quite a bit!  So it seems like midatlantic will be more like AA and eagle...

Anonymous said...

hadn't thought of it quite like that, but yeah... i guess it is kind of like AA and Eagle.

Anonymous said...

Working for free??  Wow.  Someone has got balls to ask that.  Does it make USAir a charitable organization?  Does it make this volunteer work tax-deductable?  Just pondering.

Anonymous said...

I agree... that bothered me too...  That's why I wanted to make this info available to others!

Anonymous said...

It really bothered me reading that.....you are right, you can't pay your bills on gratitude....but if they don't come in, a step closer to bankruptcy for the airline and no job at all...what a terrible situation to be faced with!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

I heard it was a blue holiday - but not really sure - that sucks you were stranded in DCA for 12 hours - up here there were bag deals out the butt...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that they had the audacity to ask you all to work for free. How are you supposed to pay for your necessities? The person who owns that company has money in their pocket and I know for a fact that they wouldn't work for free. Money is tight right now and millions of people are busting their asses because of unwise choices that are government continues to make. These employers need to understand that if they are not issuing a paycheck, then the person is not going to work!--P. S. If you get the chance, please check out my journal, I sent you my link about a week ago. Thanks! God Bless and best of luck with your job! I know how it feels to go through a bunch of mess at a job, just read my journals!