Friday, January 14, 2005

What a week!

Ahhhh....  Two down grades, thunder storms, reduced rest and a cancellation!  Another four day trip finished!  Boy am I glad to be back home!

Let's see where do I begin?  It's January, so nothing ever really goes smoothly.  Tuesday started out ok, untill my DSM turn down graded to the EMB.  I am the junior flight attendant so I had to work the flights, while the other flight attendant and pilots got to sit around the crew lounge for 5 hours. Honestly, I'd rather work then sit around and do nothing.  I got back in time to join my crew for our overnight in Buffalo.  At least that one was uneventful.  We met down stairs at the bar, sans our captain, for a night cap.  There we ran into a crew from LGA, and chatted with them for a bit.  The Captain read both mine and Cari's palms, or so he said, while the 20(well maybe he was 25) year old first officer tried to flirt with me.  I wasn't amused.  Cari, who is married, tried to tell me that I should have...  "You're in Buffalo, he's in Buffalo...." She mumbled as we walked back to our rooms.  "I'm not 19 anymore!" I replied as I retreated to my room.

The next day we got to the airport and found out that we were down graded to the EMB again.  Cari, my other flight attendant, decided to work the flight because she hates deadheading.  Lucky me!  I got to take a nap!  We went to Nashville and back, and on the way to Nashville there was this odd fellow sitting in the very back of the plane humming.  He was sitting right next to Cari, so I made a point to call her up on the interphone several times and hum along too.  (well I guess you would have had to be there)  When we got back to Chicago and were getting ready to go to our short 9 hour overnight in Des Moines, a thunder storm rolled in and delayed our departure for over an hour and a half because the ramp had shut down.  You can do the math, 8 hours on the ground total in DSM, not a happy flight attendant Heather be!  Not only am I not a morning person, but put lack of sleep on top of that...  Well I will spare you the details!  Needless to say we were delayed comming out of DSM the next morning.  Luckily the passengers were nice in spite of having to wait around for a bunch of tired and grumpy crew members to show up.

When we got to Chicago we had one easy leg back to Buffalo, which went smoothly.  No delays ect, just the way I like it, especially going into where I am going to be overnighting.  Though when we did get there, we had to wait at the airport for over half of an hour for the hotel van to come and get us.  All four of us decided to meet down stairs at the hotel bar for happy hour.  My captain, "EH! Steve" had one cocktail and then split, while Cari, our first officer "Coors" and I had some beer and played pool, for a little longer than we should have.

So needless to say I was exhausted this morning when I got up.  It's hard to look glamourus when your eyes are all blood shot, and all that you can think about is wanting just 5 more minutes of sleep.  We were supposed to go to Nashville again after we got back from Buffalo.  The plane was running late getting into O'Hare, and when it came in it had a mechanical issue that needed to be addressed.  The same knob problem that we had last week.  So of course we cancelled.  Great for me, because I got to get home to my kitties 3 hours early, but there was a mob scene of people at the gate trying to get rebooked.  There were like 5 families all standing at the gate screaming at the agents who were doing their best trying to help them.  Now, I can understand being upset, but there is no reason to throw temper tantrums in public, especially in front of your own children!

I arrived home to find a pleasant suprize...  BARS on all of my windows! My landlord put bars up on my windows!!!  Chateau Heather, now looks like Folsom prison, but at least I can sleep safely at night, and now noone can get to my new flat iron!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I am new to your journal. Your life does seem so glamourus compared to an office manager.
Love,
Kat
http//journals.aol.com/kuhlhiggins/AdventuresinKatLand

Anonymous said...

I love hearing all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on, how exciting!!

Anonymous said...

sweety I feel u... got juniored twice... IN ONE FREAKIN DAY post soon... but I did make over $600.00 on this trip:-)

Anonymous said...

I just started reading your journal...I love it I wanted to be a flight att. when I was younger, But I had children instead....I'll enjoy it through your journals...thanks...Have safe flights, God bless you

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather!  I enjoy reading your blog.  About your last entry concerning fast food, have you seen the movie "Supersize Me"?  It's about a guy who lives off of McDonald's every day, three meals a day, for a month.  You might want to check it out... unless you want to continue eating fast food everyday.  LOL.  Take care! :) KIEL

Anonymous said...

drop me an email the next time your in Buffalo and dinner at the chop house is on me

Anonymous said...

thanks for the invite, but I am not a big chop house fan...