Sunday, January 9, 2005

Traveling Tips!

Since so many people liked my last advice about style on a budget, I thought you might like some tips on how to travel like a pro!

 

Traveling as much as I do, I have learned to simplify for speed and efficency.  The thing that I see non-seasoned travelers struggle with the most is getting through the security check point.  Being prepared before you get there, not only makes it easier for you, it helps out everyone else in line behind you! 

*Having everything that is metal (even your wallet and chewing gum) out of your pockets, and put in your carry-on makes getting through the check point easier, and it also ensures that you don't forget anything!  Also just put your belt inside your carry-on and put it on after you get inside the terminal! 

*You have to keep your boarding pass and ID handy to show the screeners.

*It's winter time so that means that you have to take off your jacket, blazer ect.

*Sneakers DO NOT set off the metal detectors, unless they have the blinking lights.  If you are traveling with children, refrain from letting them wear the blinking light sneakers.

*If you wear high heels, like I do, make sure that they are easy to slip on and off!  The metal shank in the support will set off the metal detector.

*If you must travel with pets, take them out of the carrier and walk thru with them, the X-RAY is harmful.  Make sure that their collar won't set of the metal detector.

*It is policy that you allow all UNIFORMED employees cut to the front of the line.  That includes flight crew and flight attendants. Think about it, you can't get on your airplane unless we are there anyway.  I don't know how many times that I have had people make rude comments to me because I had to cut in front of them.  The extra minute that it take me to clear security isn't going to cause you to miss your flight! 

*You must take out your laptop, out of it's bag and have it screened all by itself.  I have not gotten a clear cut answer from anyone as to why, but it's something that you have to do.

*Traveling with infants and children?  Make sure that you allow yourself enough time to get through security, so that you are not rushed! 

Keep checking back for more tips!  I will be talking about packing, carry-ons, boarding, checking baggage, and staying healthy on the fly.  ENJOY!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful tips thank you so much...I wish I would have known about your journal sooner when we went to Sweden...everything you said to do before hand we did not....thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

lol gotta love the evil glares you get from people when you cut in line with your whole crew then they get on your plane and have a blank loook... honestly I think some people think that we live in the planes and airports and very have to go threw security *smh*

Anonymous said...

I AM A FEMALE WHO HAS ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN FLIGHT ATTENDANT. I THANK YOU FOR THE INSIGHT. IN AUGUST OF 2004, I FLEW FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I WAS NOT ENPRESSED WITH THE FLIGHT ATTD. I SAW, THEY ALL DON'T SEEM TO BE ENTHUSED ABOUT THE JOB. I KNOW AFTER THAT EXPERIENC I WILL NOT BE APPLYING FOR THAT JOB!!!!!

Anonymous said...

in responce to spontanious not all of us are like that. and even some that are arent like that all the time sometimes we have bad days too and yeah yeah yeah "we are in the public eye and should pull it together better" but think about it... we dont have holidays (we actually work harder on them) we dont have 5 days on 2 off... we can work6 days on 1 off all month and even then have another part time job ob the side so yeah we have bad days but i promise get on one of my planes and you wont se attitiude I try to talk to everybody on the plane and smile for real not just bc I have to

Anonymous said...

The job of a flight attendant is a Job, and like any other job there are good days and bad days!  There is a misconception that my line of work is all fun and games...  

It's a shame that you are basing your entire opinion on the ONLY flight that you have taken.

I hope that you have a better experience the next time that you fly.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I really like your journal and I learned a tihng or two from it.  I'm going to add you to my favs...CONGRATS!! ~Amy
http://journals.aol.com/memphislove/gottwins

Anonymous said...

Wow...this blog is not only entertaining, but also useful!

Thanks for the great tips.

Anonymous said...

those were good tips I think I will use them next time I go on vaicaition.

Anonymous said...

Very informative advice.  I would LOVE to be a flight attendant (I think?)  I'm female, 50, great health and love to travel and would like to meet people to travel with.  If I could find a job as a flight attendant, that would be a great way to meet people and travel, right?  

Anonymous said...

my daughter wears blinking shoes all the time...I hadn't realized they set off metal detectors...great tips here too!  :-)

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl