Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Someone IS listening!

So someone wants to feature me and my blog in a local article?  Here's what I have to say about that!  

So what is going on in my life come April?  I don't even know what's happening in my life next week except for the fact that, I go back to work on the 4th of January, and I have weekends off!  LOL  I like to keep my life as simple and low key as possible.   

As you may have read in my blog, my life is far from glamourus!  The reason that I started my blog in the first place, was because I was getting random IMs and e-mails from people (ok mostly men with a stewardess fetish) who wanted to know all about my job.  I was sick of answering all of the same silly questions over and over.  The typical, oh you must travel all the time on your days off, and about funny stories I had to tell, or what I did and didn't like about my job. That's almost worse than hearing, "What do you have?" over and over again!  

Out of pure laziness, my blog was born.  My goal is to someday compile enough of my stories to publish a book like, Plane Insanity or Around the World in a Bad Mood.  The difference of my tale being that, I work for a regional airline, and ping pong back and forth in and out of ORD all day long.  It's amazing to me how much people are enamored with the idea of jet setting off to the far corners of the world, or the idea getting to fly there for next to nothing.  That's what drew me to this crazy life 5 years ago, though it's not why I have stayed at a regional airline.  I have learned that you don't have to go to some far off exotic location to have a good time, sometimes it's right out your back door!  When I tell people the reality of what my life is really like, they don't want to hear it.  At the end of the day, even flight attendants are human beings too...  We are no longer the swinging sex symbols of days gone bye.  

The "Coffee, Tea, or Me?" days have long since passed.  Though there is still that sense of mystique about a job that is today in fact really a flying vending machine with heels!  Everyone assumes that I fly on the big planes and have layovers in London or Paris.  In fact to this day I have yet to go to either of those places.  I'd rather sleep in my own bed with my two cats!  

So in a nutshell, this is what will be happening in my life from now, until at least April...  Our flight attendants have been in contract negotiations for a new contract for almost 4 years now, with no resolution in sight.  Unlike mainline flight attendants, we didn't take any concessions because we are still grossly underpaid.  It's sad that it has come to a point that we have to fight even for basic human rights.  

I posted an except from this e-mail on my blog, because I have already gotten several e-mails from people who want to know if I am going to be doing the article...  I figure why not?  As long as I have a union rep along, I think that my 15 minutes of fame is almost due.  LOL

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bizarre, Precious, I just read your Christmas entries... I was in RDU on Christmas eve, TOO!!!  And I flew back to AUS on Christmas day!  We probably passed each other in the airport!!!! (terminal A?)  I took an Embraer regional jet that was supposed to be non-stop, but we had to make a refueling stop :P

-Q of S

Anonymous said...

yeah, be careful!  I believe one of the reasons I was fired was in retaliation for talking to the press!

-Q of S

Anonymous said...

I was in terminal C, I flew our mainline carrier direct to ORD!  How Bizzare!  My family moved from Napa, CA to Sanford, NC about 3 years ago!  They like it, but I will stick to living in Chicago.  Big city life agrees with me!

It's a small world afterall!  

I don't plan on saying anything to the press without union representation.

PS, I usually fly the CRJ700 instead of the EMBRAER...  I prefer working with another flight attendant, and I am senior enough to get the trips that I want!

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys made it to RDU - you did better than me!  :)

I'm heading via ORD a bunch starting next week - hopefully I'll have someone as nice as you on my flights ;)

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh I am not always that nice!!!  LOL

Anonymous said...

... but until you laugh at the sight of me contorting to fit in any sort of RJ, I'll just assume you're sweet as pie ;)