Thursday, December 16, 2004

So YOU want to be a flight attendant?

The following is an excerpt from an e-mail that I sent off to someone who was interested in becoming a flight attendant.  I thought that maybe more people might like the same information!  

 

For those of you that read my BLOG regularly, you know that  I am pretty candid about what my job is really like.  Also I would recommend that you read, PLANE INSANITY, and AROUND THE WORLD IN A BAD MOOD.  Both were written by flight attendants recently, and give a realistic view of what it's really like.  If you go to Amazon.com put out a search for books about flight attendants.  There are great books about interviewing successfully.  I recommend getting at least one of them.  

The flight attendant interview is a lot like a beauty pageant.  It's been five years since I went thru the interview process....  So I really can't remember what all they asked, ect.  Anyways, be prepared to stand up in front of everyone and tell them about yourself, and why you want to be a flight attendant.  Your answer should be that you like people and travel, but not those exact words.  Research the company that you are interviewing for, and tell why you want to work for them.  If you have an interview with let's say, Southwest, have you seen the TV show AIRLINE on A&E?  That's the kind of passengers that you will be dealing with!  

I won't lie to you, my job isn't easy by any means.  Dealing with the traveling public can be a real pain.  People check in their brains with their luggage.  Long hours, five six maybe even 7 flights in one day, short rest periods, weather delays, cranky people, it's all something that you have to take with a smile!  Yes, that's right up to 7 legs a day.  I talked to a group of flight attendants from another airline during a layover once who told me that it wasn't uncommon to fly 6 to 7 legs in one day!    

But I couldn't imagine doing anything else.  It's a challenge.  Even with all of the bad stuff, it's a fun job for the right person.  

Here are some typical interview questions that you may be asked during a one on one interview:  

Why do you want to work for our airline?  That's when the research that I told you about earlier would have come in handy!  

Are you willing to relocate?  There is only one answer to that, and it is YES of course!  The aspect of moving anywhere in the US, is exciting!  (Remember if you already live in a city that is a base, you can always commute until you get your transfer back home!)  

What do you like, and or Dislike about your current job?  If it is the dislike question, make sure you turn a negative into a positive.   

Why do you want to be a flight attendant?  We all know its for the travel benefits!  But be creative!  I am bilingual, and I told them that I wanted to be able to use my French skills on a daily basis.  I wanted a challenging work environment where every day was different.  

When can you start?  The standard answer is the same with any job, after you give 2 weeks notice.   

I am sure that I am forgetting some questions...  Keep checking back, because if I think of anymore, I will be sure to post them!   If any of YOU out there, have any questions, feel free to e-mail them to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

During my interview, they asked me, "What do you think is the most important part of a Flight Attendants job?"  The word SAFETY should be first and foremost in your response.  The primary duty of a Flight Attendant is to secure passenger safety.  Also vital to the Flight Attendant's job is ensuring the safe operation of the aircraft under hi or her control as well as ensure that fellow crewmember safety is maintained.

Anonymous said...

most of all guys when you are interviewing... be yourself, yeah that person interviewing will prob never see you again, but if you are some one who doesnt like people, this job isnt for you so don't act like you do just to get the job and be able to say, "yeah im a flight attendant" you arent a flight attendant till you pass you IOE and take your first flight w/out a shadow person.  F/A's take a whole lotta crap, you have to be sure of yourself so if you stand up in your interview and you're all quite and shy chances are they wont ask you for a one on one interview... gsus gurl thanx for the post Idea!!! now imma have to do one too!