Monday, December 27, 2004

More info on becomming a flight attendant

The following is an excerpt from another letter that I wrote to a girl who wants to become a flight attendant.  I thought that this added information might be helpful to others who are interested in a career as a flying cocktail waitress...

The minimum age requirement is between 19 to 21, with most major airlines being 21.  I work for the largest regional airline in the US.  Our minimum requirements are: 19 years old, 2 years of customer service experience, being bilingual is preferred, and able to pass a criminal background check and drug test....  ect.   

It's not hard to find work as a flight attendant today post 9-11-2001, but the only airlines that are currently hiring are regional airlines like the one that I work for.  Working for a regional airline is a great place to start to see if you really like the job.  You can start at a regional, then when the majors start hiring you will be more marketable because you are already a flight attendant.   

Well having a degree isn't really necessary in my field. (I don't have my degree)  Stay away from places that offer flight attendant training and job placement.  They are just a waste of time and money.  Every airline has their own training program. Though I feel the classes that I did take in college that really helped me were:   

Anthropology classes, (anything to do with culture will help you to understand differences and make it easier to interact with people from all over the world)  

Foreign Languages, are you bilingual?  You should be if you ever want to work at a major airline.  French, Spanish, German or Japanese are the most desirable.   

Public speaking, and interpersonal communication, I wish that I would have taken public speaking in college, because it would have prepared me for the interview process.  Communication is a good course to take because you learn how to interact with others, and read body language.  

First Aid and CPR, that was a health credit that I took that really came in handy during training.  It also looks really good on your resume.  Though they will qualify you in training with the CPR and first aide training for a flight attendant, it will be easier for you, because you already know the basics, so adding in the oxygen and AED will be a piece of cake.  

English, having correct grammar and punctuation is important, but more important is being able to speak well.  Looking, speaking and acting professional is key.  

 I hope that this helps you out...  Please keep me posted on getting a flight attendant job.  If any of you out there have questions about becomming a flight attendant don't hesitate to e-mail me!

It's not a cake walk, but I love it!   

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather--

My name is David Murray; I'm a freelance journalist and I do some writing for the Chicago Trib and the Reader. Thinking of doing a story about you and your blog ... but I imagine you'd like to remain anonymous ... If you're interested in talking to me, e-mail me at dmurrayil@earthlink.net.

David

Anonymous said...

This is the classic case of another one of those things which seem a lot easier than they are.    I have a friend who wants to become a flight attendant and I tried telling her that it is harder you think.   I think I'll point her here.

Anonymous said...

woot woot girl... jump on it... even though I would rather hear more funny stories just to get the honesty of what we all go threw is worth it!

Anonymous said...

WOW.... Thanks to Q of S, my BLOG is becomming popular!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know that it will be a tough job but I just hate the idea of a typical 9-5.  I am a theatre major right now but I am thinking of taking some communications classes next year and working at Midway or O-Hare if I can get in.  I will be 19 in Feb.  so I don't think age will be a problem.  I am actually pretty excited about this...thanks for all the great info!
                                         -Danielle   (mickeygirl210)

Anonymous said...

I do what I can...  I did alot of research about my job before I started.  Though nothing prepared me for what it is really like!  Good luck, and maybe we'll fly together some day!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Happy New Year!
I really enjoyed reading your entries! I am CabinCrew too, and it is nice to see people who love their job. It yields so many benefits. It's just a matter of how you look at things. I will check back to read more of your experiences. In case you like "Funny stuff", you should check out my favorite website   www.crewtag.com
<"Attitude is Altitude!">