Monday, March 28, 2005

Another voice about connections...

Connections -- unfortunately most connection times are set by the airlines' own computers and it can be difficult or impossible to arrange a trip without short connects.  I prefer 60 minutes, too, but it just doesn't always work out that way.

This is true to a point, but depending on the fare rules of the price that you are paying, you do have SOME flexablity for the flights that you are able to take.

What a lot of people don't realize is that a 30 minute connection gives you only 15 minutes to get to the gate.  At any point after 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure standbys can be processed (i.e. your unoccupied seat goes to someone else) and the door is closed (and they are unlikely to reopen it for you!).

This is SOOOOO true.  I have preached about this time and time again.  It is very rare that a flight will be reopened for you if you can't make it to you connecting gate on time!

Sometimes when I'm going to a strange airport I print out maps of the concourses, which often help.  The major airline magazines (which they invite you to take with you) usually have those maps in them somewhere, too.


This is something that I do on a regular basis as well.  I went to Boston a month ago and I was meeting a friend of mine on his layover.  He works for another airline, and I had to find out where is airline was located.  Printing out a map of the entire airport was helpful.  Come to find out, I had to go clear to the other side of the airport.  If you do a google search of the airport name, each airport has their own website with maps, and terminal information.

Thanks for the great tips!!!

Comment from backtonorway - 3/28/05 8:14 PM

No comments: