Monday, September 15, 2003

Balancing the fine line between Self Suffiency and Damsel in Distress

As I have said before, trying to date when you are a flight attendant isn't easy!  There is so much unnecessary drama that surrounds my profession because of the stereo types! 

I get tired of being asked the same stupid questions over and over.  Such as: "Can I be loyal to one person?"  "How come a pretty girl like you doesn't have a boy friend?"  "So Do you have a guy in every city?"  "Do you think that we could get together next time you're on a lay-over?"  "How come you're gone all of the time?  I never get to see you!" "What do you mean, you went out with your crew?  WHAT HAPPENED???"  There are many more, too numerous to include. 

The simple facts are that: #1 I am a flight attendant, it's my job, that's how I pay my bills!  I am not a slut, I don't have a guy in every port, and I am not a bimbo! #2 I don't need a man to complete me, I am just as content flying solo.  #3 What does me being away for 4 days a week have anything to do with whether or not I can be faithful to one man?  #4 Yea so what if I get hit on, on a daily basis?  Like that fact would dissapear if I were placed in an office setting...

Every time I meet a new guy, I feel like I have to constantly prove myself to them to be trusted!  Why should I have to live my life under a microscope just because I pass out  pretzels and Coke at 35,000 feet?  I feel that if I can trust the person I am dating not to stray wilst I am away from home, then why can't they deal with me being gone for four days a week.  If I had a nine to five office job, I would have even less free time to devote to a relationship.  One of the (many) reasons the last guy I dated didn't want to see me anymore, was because I was away from home too much! (but that's an entirely different story!)

I feel like I have been unfairly pigeon holed, by the other half of the species, into the catagory of fun girl to date, but not settle down with, simply because I wear a pair of wings and high heels!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As my best friend once told me, the whole basis for any successful relationship is trust. Whether you fly for a living, or fly on business trips. If you can't trust your partner when they step out of your sight, the relationship is doomed. But it's not just guys who "pidgeon hole" you; it's females, as well. So good luck, baby-doll eyes ... when you find that fellow who trusts you -- no matter what -- take the fake wedding ring off.

Anonymous said...


       hi

Wow, you do have it rough with the idiots that you deal with at 35,000 feet. I know how you guys feel since Im in the Air Force and i travel on southwest and delta. The one thing that I cant stand are these fools that complain and whine during the flight about the littlest things like their beverage, or that a 8 hour flight is a half hour late. Its not like they have a meeting to run to once they get off the plane.  Then again, personalties do clash and its hard to do anything about that. Not only do you have to hear peoples whining everyday, you have to do it in high heels. I respect flight attendants for the sole reason that they are there for us, whether serving snacks and food, or to save our lives.  Since i dont know you and I most likely wont see you on a plane, I would like to say thank you for what you do, and god bless.

scott

Anonymous said...

thanks for the feed back!