Saturday, September 6, 2003

6 hours of mirth and merriment at RDU intl. Airport! Part 1

I think that one of the biggest questions that I get from people who are not in the airline industry is: "Oh, you get to fly for free, you must travel all of the time!?!?" 

They are astonished when I tell them no, I like to stay home and sleep in my own bed.  Sure I do have flight benifits, but they are only space availible, meaning if there is an empty seat left over that someone hasn't bought a ticket for, then I get to fly.  If the flight is full, then I get to wait around for the  next flight and take my chances again.  Flying stand by is always a big gamble.  Take my wonderful expearience flying to North Carolina to visit my folks for example!

Last saturday I was pondering the idea to see my parents, because I was getting cabing fever.  So I checked flights for Sunday, and I was extemely surprised to find an open afternoon flight to RDU.  Of course I checked the flights comming back on Thursday, and they looked pretty good as well.  I meal listed myself for the flight on Sunday, and called my parents to let them know that I was going to make an appearience.  Sunday was breeze, I checked in about 45 minutes prior to departure, and because the flight was so wide open I was able to get my seat assignment right away.  I even got the seat that I wanted!!  The flight was uneventful, except for some weather that popped up around the airport, which delayed our landing a little. 

I had a wonderful visit with my family, and enjoyed all the peace and quiet.  I didn't fret about getting back home to Chicago as much as I usually do.  Wednesday nite I checked the flights for going back to Chicago, and the flight that I had wanted to get on went from 30 seats open to only 5 seats open.  There were alot of other employees listed for the flight.  The flight after the one that I wanted was empty so I knew that I had a back up.  I decided to take my chances and go for it, just check in 4 hours prior.   But woe be to me, because the flight went out full, and I was rolled over to the next flight that was departing in an hour and a half. 

No comments: