Thursday, May 19, 2005

Random Acts Of Passive Agressive Behavior...

Being a flight attendant and being passive agressive seems to go hand in hand...  Don't let the smile fool you!  Here are some of my random confessions of girls behaving badly.

 

The following is an old joke, but a good one:

Q: How does a flight attendant say F*** you?

A: "I'll be right back!"

I seem to say, "I'll be right back," quite frequently lately...  Being passive agressive seems to creep into your soul when you are a flight attendant.  I don't personally condoan this type of bahaviour, but sometimes I let things slip without thinking...

***Monday evening Enid and I were working our last flight of the day into White Plains, NY.  I don't know what it is about these passengers that makes them think that they are God's gift to humanity, but their pretention and blatent arrogence annoys me to no end. 

We were in the middle of the beverage service, and Enid was making her way towards the back of the plane.  I was finished in my section, so I started to move the cart to where she was.  Mind you the cart weighs about 90 plus pounds, and is difficult to manuver down the isle dodging knees by ones self.  I accidently ramed it into the armrest of an exit row passenger, and by the look that she gave me, if looks could kill I would have been dead. 

I appologized profusely, and she accepted my appology.  She then went to inform me to move the cart moved away from her seat because she didn't want anything spilled on her.  (whatever I have a job to do, that was more important than her game of solitare!!!)  Blowing her comment off, I continued to help Enid serve the last few passengers, and only scooted the cart forward about 5 inches which meant that I was pouring drinks right next to the top of her head. 

When we were finished, I started pulling out the open cans and placing them on top of the cart to refill drinks on the way back up the cabin.  "OOPPPS...."  I exclaimed as I spilled some tomato juice on top of my cart by mistake.  I never seen someone move so fast in my life as she did to avoid the tomato juice that she thought I was about to spill on her!  When she glared at me, I just rolled my eyes as we pulled the cart back up to the front of the airplane...

***The next morning the flight out of White Plains, I had this family of three sitting in the bulk head row.  The mother was clutching her purse to her lap, when I opened up the over head bin and offered to put it in for her.  After much resistance she handed it to me saying, "Please be careful, where you touch it, I don't YOU want to get it dirty.....  It's REALLY expensive!"  After I had gently placed her precious purse in the over head bin and closed it, I let out a fake sneeze and wiped my nose with my hands and continued to close the rest of the overhead bins.  She didn't want anything from me during the beverage service.

***Wednesday we were working one of our last flights into Omaha.  Enid asks this passenger, who could be a double for Britney Spears husband what he wanted to drink.  After going back and forth several times, "What do you have?" "Well, what do you want?"  He decided on Sprite AND water. 

As soon as she moved past his row, the little punk was shaking his empty glass in the isle at me, demanding a refill.  Mind you I was at row 5 behind the cart, and he was seated at row 10.  I said, "NO!" "Are you serious?" he retorted.  "WE still have other passengers to take care of SIR!  And we will be refilling on the way back up."  I replied as we moved the cart past him.  We seemed to have both forgot to refill his glass as we made our way back up the isle, even though he kept trying to get our attention and make eye contact.  Come to find out, he was just another airline employee traveling on us, and should have known how to behave better.

 

Hope you enjoyed my week more than I did!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

... I have always thought that flight attendants had a secret 'get back' at passengers ... this was clever and insightful ...

Anonymous said...

ohhhh....  That's NOTHING....

Anonymous said...

Preciuos...you are my kind of person...
If I were 291 years younger.....well...we would give the world a reality check.
I have very much the same type of behaviors and about the same thought process as you do.
I would have loved to have seen that woman scramble when you "Spilled" the tomato juice...and the sneeze was classic.
Thanks.
Tim