Monday, January 2, 2006

The ZEN of Diet Soda...

Ok...  As I have said before, you can't please everyone and sometimes you can't even please ANYONE.  That can't be further from the truth this Holiday season. 

Full flights and under stocked galley carts seem to go hand in hand.  I am convinced that people don't realize that I am NOT a waitress.  It isn't my job to keep their diet coke over flowing, especially when there are only THREE diet cokes to go around for an entire flight.  Other than safety part of my duties include providing A service.  Just one, and if time and supplies permit, then re-offer.  When most of my flights are about an hour, then time permitting doesn't come into play. 

I know that there has been alot of buzz about flight attendants not giving out cans anymore.  Well here's my take on it...  There is only so much space in the galley carts for XYZ cans of soda.  When stocked with more Z and Y soda than the more popular A or diet B soda.  There's only so much to go around.  When passenger Q wants a whole can of Diet B soda, and the flight attendant knows that 20 passengers behind passenger Q will want the same, and there isn't 20 other cans of Diet B,  he or she has quite a pickle. 

If you were in their high heels, would you:

A)Make one greedy person happy and anger the other twenty people?

B)Try to supply as many people with the drink that they want as possible?

C)Keep all of the Diet soda for yourself, and make all your passengers who paid dearly for their tickets drink...  water?

D)Throw in your apron and quit because your feet hurt and you aren't cut out to serve diet coke at 35,000 feet?

 

The same equation can be applied to pillows, blankets, peanuts, pretzels, and overhead space.  You get the hint. Well ladies and gentleman we apologize for the inconvenience, but we can't give you what we don't have.  Flight attendants aren't as equipped anymore to provide you with every little minute thing that your heart desires.  Keep in mind that we are just along for the ride too, and don't set out to make your life miserable, after all it's just DIET COKE, not rocket science!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez!!  I can't agree with you more on everything in this post.

First, I would give the can to whomever asked for it first.  The next passenger who orders said soda would be informed that we are out of that selection.  I would let them know that we are catered with only so many of that brand per flight.  And then, and then, and then......I would let them know that I agree with them on the shortage and give them a customer complaint form to fill out.  Hell, I "encourage" them to fill one out and I even offer to mail it in for them.  

The more complaints that headquarters receive maybe they will start to listen to us f/a's.

Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

Yea, I do that too...  And I ALWAYS try to give out the whole can, if the flight is light enough.