Friday, April 28, 2006

"United 93"

The flags that once flew, as a display of our pride as a Nation, have all but disapeared.  It's been less than five years since that day, and I think that we as Americans need a wake-up call.

 

There has been alot of talk in the media lately about the movie that immortilizes the last moments of the fourth hyjacked plane on September 11, 2001.  People have stated that they don't want to be reminded of that tragic day.  Some think that it's too soon.  I feel that most Americans have already forgotten, and have slipped back into the same habits that they had on September 10, 2001.  It's only been five years, and our Nation's selfish and self-serving attitudes are worse than they were before the attacks.

Everytime that I walk on an airplane, I am reminded of that day.  Reinforced cockpit doors, having to take my shoes off to go through security, and many other things that have changed my life forever.  I can't forget about 9-11, and the rest of the Nation shouldn't just sweep it under the carpet.  Refusing to see the movie United 93 will not change the brutality and distruction of that really happened.  This is a part of American history, that needs to be remembered.

The men and women on board United 93 sacrificed their lives, to keep another plane from killing even more people.  What if the terrorists whould have succeeded?  There is no telling just how much more devistation there would have been.

I am planning on seeing United 93 this weekend.  I know that I will need to bring a box of tissues with me.  But it comes down to the fact that my Union brothers and sisters were brutally murdered that day, and I owe it to them to hear their story.

What do the rest of you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one plan on seeing that movie.  And I totally agree with you, American's have forgotten about what happened, or have chosen to not do anything about it.  When really, we should be doing everything in our power to make sure something this catastrauphic doesn't happen again.

Anonymous said...

I plan on seeing it. How can I honor their lives if I ignore what happened to them?

Brandi

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie tonight, it was really great, It was a great portrayal of the events of that day. I must admit that I was balling, there is one point in the movie where the pax are calling their families and I could not even come close to holding myself together. You must see it, it’s a great reminder of what happened on that day.

Anonymous said...

I do intend to see it.
I will confess that I will wait to see it on dvd in the privacy of my own home. The reason is I was acquainted with Nicole Miller, one of the heroes (they all were heroes IMHO) on that flight. Nicole worked out at the same gym I frequented in those days. She was a sweet, friendly girl with a dazzling smile.  My last memory of her is so vivid because I overheard her telling someone about her plans for her upcoming vacation to New York.  I also have a cousin who died in the North Tower. The memories of these women and all the other victims is indeed raw but I do not want to forget the horror, the terror and the overwhelming grief for all the humanity lost that day all in some misguided mission in God's name.
Just in case anyone has forgotten or needs a reminder check out http://members.aol.com/stupidsheetguy/91101/wtc.html
Laura
www.adventuresinjuggling.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I saw "United 93" yesterday. It was a very emotional film and difficult to watch, but the film was very well done and all should see it. I have not forgotten the events and lives lost on 9/11/2001 and I will not ever get over those events until all those responsible are brought to justice, or have justice brought to them.

                         Sincerely, Dan

Anonymous said...

I believe that the American Public should be reminded of September 11 every day. It's changed this nation in a way that no other event in modern history could. The corporate media has been censored from showing scenes of that day because it would be "too upsetting for the American public" That day should never be forgotten, and we should be reminded of it often. I believe that film is a small first step, but it must be shown. It won't reach every American, but it's a start.

Anonymous said...

World Wars are remembered in movies.. why not a heroic act or even a tragic event that has changed us as a nation? I agree it should have been made.. for all to remember.. because you are right .. people forget so easily things that happens weeks .. even months later sometimes.. not that they forget exactly.. but life returns to a very safe normal.. and sometimes.. it's that is what makes us easily a target sometimes I think .. just my opinion of course.. :)